Testing Centre of Hydraulic structure
The Head of TCHS
Candidate of Engineering,
Expert of Rostechnadzor on Waterworks
Active/Full member of Russian Academy of Transport
Address: 198035, St.Petersburg, Dvinskaya st., 5/7, office 157
Tel/Fax: (812) 748-96-37, 748-96-38
Testing Center of Hydraulic Structures of the Admiral Makarov State University of Maritime and Inland Shipping was established in 2003 in order to develop research activities in the field of waterworks safety. The main activities of TCHS are research and development, experimental, design and survey works, as well as ensuring the educational process in the Hydraulic Laboratory named after Professor V.E. Timonov.
TCHS was accredited as a testing laboratory (center) in the national accreditation system (RusAccreditation) in 2015 and performs this activity while inspecting port hydraulic structures and separate berths.
TCHS performs design and survey works as a specialized structural unit of the Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Higher Education the Admiral Makarov State University of Maritime and Inland Shipping (hereinafter - the University), which is a member of the self-regulatory organizations - “Prospecting Organizations of the North-West” Associationand the “Projects Organizations of the North-West” Association.
The testing center implements the academic load and helps to organize hydraulic researches of the departments of hydraulic structures, structures and hydraulics, ports, construction operations, foundations engineering and waterways and water surveys in terms of organizing and conducting academic laboratory works, as well as scientific research by teachers and post-graduate students of these departments in the Hydraulic Laboratory named after Professor V.E. Timonova.
Areas of activities
There are following tasks of TCWW:
- integrated surveys of port facilities (berths, breakwaters, bank protections etc.);
- development of a passport for hydraulic structures;
- development of a protocol for the identification of port hydraulic structures (berths);
- development of a project and arrangement of observation and reference control geodetic connections;
- monitoring of deformations of hydraulic structures by using geodetic methods;
- development of systems for automated monitoring of hydraulic structures deformations;
- making depth measurements in the water areas of hydraulic structures;
- assessment of the stress-strain state of hydraulic structures with the determination of the limiting values of hydraulic structures deformations;
- documentation process to ensure safe operation of structures (examination record book over the state and mode of structures operation, reference books of permissible loads, declarations for compliance of structures with established requirements, a plan and program for monitoring the technical state and mode of their operation, etc.);
- development of safety declarations for hydraulic structures;
- preparation of expert opinions in the field of hydraulic structures safety;
- hydraulic studies of wave effects on hydraulic structures;
- hydraulic studies of river channels and ship locks deformations;
- development of safety criteria for hydraulic structures;
- determination of the breakthrough wave parameters during hydrodynamic accidents at hydraulic structures;
- determination of the amount of probable harm in case of hydrodynamic accidents at hydraulic structures;
- development of projects for overhaul and reconstruction of hydraulic structures etc.
Surveying of port hydraulic structures
- Analysis of technical documentation for the berth;
- Creation of Surveying program and its coordination with Client;
- Picketage marking along wharf face;
- Making measurements at the berth with drawing up measurements protocol (including the underwater part):
- determination of geometrical parameters of the berth and its main defects;
- planned-high-altitude position of the berth and surrounding area;
- depth measurements in the berth water area and directly near the structure;
- non-destructive inspection technique of construction materials strength;
- determination of metal corrosion level (of residual thickness);
- determination of physical and mechanical features of backfill soil (if necessary).
- Visual inspection and non-destructive testing;
- Subsea inspection;
- Verification analysis (if necessary);
- Development of recommendations for further berth operation;
- Report preparation of berth inspection;
- Berth passport preparation and its coordination with Client;
- Execution of the Declaration of Conformity with the requirements to the Technical Regulations on the safety of Sea Transport Facilities (Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation from 12.08.2010 No 620 “On approval of the technical regulations on the safety of maritime transport facilities”) or the requirements of the Technical Regulations on the safety of inland water transport facilities (Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation from 12.08 .2010 No 623 “On approval of technical regulations on the safety of inland water transport facilities”);
- Registration of the Declaration of Conformity in FGIS RusAccreditation (if necessary, with the involvement of specialized accreditation centre).
Hydraulic laboratory named after professor V.E. Timonov
Hydraulic laboratory named after professor V.E. Timonov was founded in 1907. There are more than 30 academic laboratories and hydraulic flume.
1) Universal lock model is designed for hydraulics researches of shipping locks. Lock stand (Sluice) is used to carry out researches on safety issues of shipping locks operation: conditions of entry, exit and moorage in the lock chamber; berthing impact on lock’s elements (gates, walls), conditions of waterfront breakthrough/penetration.
2) Stand for researches of run-of-river processes is used for hydraulic researches of free river sections; study of the stream-directing and river training ship structures operation; development and modeling of flood and culvert structures on rivers.
3) Hydraulic flume with wave generator (maker) and small glass hydraulic flume are designed for researches of the shipping, port and culvert hydraulic structures operation. They are equipped with a water supply system and measuring complexes that allow conducting researches over a wide range of directions.
4) For many years teaching department of hydraulic laboratory not only has decreased but has become more various. You can study the processes associated with hydraulics and hydraulic machines in the laboratory. Here you can study the laws of hydrostatic pressure, and hydraulic shock, and the features of the flow, and even raise water to a considerable height, without spending any human energy or electrical energy. Most of the training installations are devoted to the hydraulics, as well as the operation of various pumps, such as centrifugal, gear-type and vane pumps, which makes it possible to train technical personnel at a very high level.
- Federal Agency for Maritime and River Transportation
- FBU “Volgo-Balt” Administration
- FBU “Volgo-Don” Administration
- LLC “KINEF”
- JSC Seaport “Saint-Petersburg”
- LLC “General transshipment terminal” (Ust-Luga port)
- PJSC “Container terminal Saint-Petersburg”
- Northern-Caspian Department “Salvage and rescue operations and underwater engineering works”
- LLC “Vysotskii Port”
- PAO “Izhorskii factories”
- JSC “Volgograd River Port”
- “The Eastern-Siberian Inland Navigation Company”